Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 84-86 Clarkston Road, Couper Institute And Library

Institute (19th Century), Library (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 84-86 Clarkston Road, Couper Institute And Library

Classification Institute (19th Century), Library (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cooper Institute And Library

Canmore ID 166770

Site Number NS56SE 792

NGR NS 58185 60392

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/166770

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Cathcart (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Couper Institute, 84-86 Clarkston Road, 1887, James Sellars

Vigorous Scots Renaissance with first-floor Venetian window, stone bracketed balcony and belltower with spire. A late Sellars building, produced while his partner was ill and he was overworked preparing the 1888 International Exhibition. Library and Hall, 1923, John Alfred Taylor (J A T) Houston. English Baroque, rubble and ashlar dressings with sculpted details.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NS56SE 792 58185 60392

Couper Institute [NAT] (at NS 58184 60384)

Library [NAT] (at NS 58216 60406)

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2010.

NMRS REFERENCE

Glasgow, 84-86 Clarkston Road, Cooper Institute and Library.

ARCHITECT: Campbell Douglas & Sellars 1888 (Jas. Sellars).

J. A. T. Houston 1923-24 (Library and South-West additions only).

(Undated) unformation in NMRS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions