Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Elgin, Dominican Friary


Site Name Elgin, Dominican Friary

Classification Friary

Alternative Name(s) Blackfriars' Monastery

Canmore ID 16673

Site Number NJ26SW 6

NGR NJ 2117 6295

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2016.


Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Elgin
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ26SW 6 2117 6295.

(NJ 2117 6295) Supposed Site of Blackfriar's Monastery (NR)

OS 6" map, Morayshire, 2nd ed., (1906).

The Blackfriars' Monastery at Elgin was founded AD 1233 or 34 by Alexander II, and terminated before AD 1570. It was dedicated to St. James.

D E Easson 1957.

Traces of the foundations of the Blackfriars' Monastery, remain in a field to the north of the castle of Elgin.

R Pococke 1887

No trace remains, nor is the site definitely known.

H B Mackintosh 1924.

No remains of the monastery, nor any further information relating to it, was encountered during investigation.

Visited by OS (R D L) 11 December 1962.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions