Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Elgin, Maisondieu Road, East Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Elgin, Maisondieu Road, East Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Elgin Business Centre; Elgin Station; New Elgin Road; Old Station

Canmore ID 16597

Site Number NJ26SW 103

NGR NJ 22052 62237

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16597

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Elgin
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ26SW 103.00 22052 62237

NJ26SW 103.01 NJ 22329 62335 Engine shed

NJ26SW 103.02 NJ 22115 62273 Goods shed

NJ26SW 103.03 NJ 22019 62276 Weighbridge

For present (formerly Highland Rly.) Elgin Station (NJ 2183 6219), see NJ26SW 102.

(Location cited as NJ 221 622). Elgin Station, rebuilt 1902 by the Great North of Scotland Rly. An elaborate through and terminal station with the main offices on the down side in a two-storey and attic ashlar block, basically on an H plan, with wings at both ends. Now closed to passengers, though the goods yard, with wooden shed, is still in use.

J R Hume 1977.

This station was opened as the terminal station of the Morayshire Rly. (serving branches along the Moray coast) on 10 August 1852. It was incorporated into the Great North of Scotland Rly. and closed to regular passenger traffic at an unspecified date.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 31 October 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions