Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Urquhart Priory

Priory (Medieval), Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Urquhart Priory

Classification Priory (Medieval), Well (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Abbey Well

Canmore ID 16577

Site Number NJ26SE 6

NGR NJ 2926 6310

NGR Description From NJ 2926 6310 to NJ 2907 6298

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16577

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Urquhart
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ26SE 6 2926 6310 to 2907 6298

(NJ 2926 6310) Urquhart Priory (NR) (Site of).

(NJ 2907 6298) Abbey Well (NR).

OS 6" map, Morayshire, 2nd ed., (1905)

Urquhart was a Benedictine Priory founded about 1136, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity. David I is usually regarded as the founder. In 1453/5 the Priory was united with that of Pluscarden (NJ15NW 6) and the Urquhart building was abandoned and has been completely destroyed, although stones are occasionally ploughed up and pot sherds are found. The 'Abbey Well' was drained before the end of the 19th century. (Note: 'Cross Hillock' at NJ 2901 6370).

W Cramond 1899; D E Easson 1957; P F Auson 1959.

The Abbey Well no longer exists.

Visited by OS (S C) 23 March 1967.

No trace of the priory or the well.

A stone bearing the letter IHS and the inverted dated 1708 (probably an addition) which came from the Red Lion Inn, Garmouth, where it was used as a lintel before the inn was demolished about twenty years ago, is in the manse garden at NJ 2831 6269. The minister (Rev S Forsyth, The Manse, Urquhart) thinks it may originally have come from the priory. A flat stone slab bearing a cross is mounted on the wall inside the church hall at NJ 2885 6269. According to the minister, Dr W D Simpson, after seeing a sketch of it, thought it may be of 13th century date. It is also thought originally to have come from the priory.

Visited by OS (R L) 24 January 1972.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions