Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Kelvinbridge Station

Railway Bridge (19-20th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Kelvinbridge Station

Classification Railway Bridge (19-20th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kelvin Bridge Station; 9-13 Caledonian Crescent; River Kelvin

Canmore ID 165065

Site Number NS56NE 1470

NGR NS 5738 6688

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/165065

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 1470 57380 66962

Location formerly cited in error as NS 5738 6688, within the civil parish of Govan, and by implication on the E bank of the River Kelvin.

Not to be confused with Kelvinbridge Underground Station (NS 57493 66943), for which see NS56NE 4890. (This is on the E bank of the River Kelvin, within the civil parish of Glasgow).

Kelvinbridge Station, Caledonian Crescent, built c. 1894 for the Glasgow Central Rly, James Miller, architect. A two-platform through station, partly built on a two-span plate-girder bridge over the Kelvin. The station was closed to passengers in 1952, and the platform buildings and awnings demolished. Following a fire on 11 August 1968, the offices, on a bridge over the track, were demolished in 1969.

The offices were two storeys high, in red brick with sandstone dressings, in Renaissance style.

J R Hume 1974.

This intermediate station on the former Glasgow central Rly (later incorporated into the Caledonian Rly) was opened on 10 August 1896. It closed temporarily between 1 January 1917 and 1 June 1919, and closed to regular passenger traffic on 4 August 1952.

R V J Butt 1995.

Kelvin Bridge Station on the Glasgow Central Railway was built in 1894, close to Great Western Road; it was of two-platform type and partly built on a two-span metal plate girder bridge over the River Kelvin. It opened to use on 10 August 1896, and closed to passengers in 1952, the platform buildings and awnings being demolished. The offices, which were on a bridge over the tracks, lasted until 1968, when a fire forced their demolition.

In the 1970's the bridge was renovated as a footpath and cycleway within the Kelvin Walkway scheme; a concrete deck slab was cast on top of the existing girders, and handrails were added. The re-openbing of the station is projected as part of the 'StrathClyde Tram' project.

D Boyce 1996.

This bridge carries a footpath and cycleway across the River Kelvin, which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Govan (to the W) and Glasgow (to the E).

The location cited defines the station buildings, which are at street level on the W (Govan) bank of the river. The available map evidence indicates that the station and bridge extended from NS c. 57382 66957 to NS c. 57388 669342.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 5 December 2005.

Architecture Notes

Glasgow, Kelvinbridge Station. No longer in use.

Not to be confused wuth Kelvinbridge underground station, which is still in use.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions