Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aikenway Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Aikenway Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Oakenwalls; Oakenwall Castle

Canmore ID 16437

Site Number NJ25SE 1

NGR NJ 2911 5075

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Rothes
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ25SE 1 2911 5075.

(NJ 2911 5075) Aikenway Castle (NR) (remains of) (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1959)

The remains of Aikenway (Name Book 1870) or O-a-Kenwall (NSA 1845) Castle whose history is unknown, is said to have been occupied by a Leslie, brother of Earl Leslie of Rothes. (Title created in mid-15th century).

The site, on a rocky eminence is naturally defended on three sides by the Spey, and the only approach is along a narrow ridge whose sides show evidence of artifical scarping.

A west turret and traces of the rest of the castle survived in 1870.

New Statistical Account (NSA written by Rev A McWatt - 1842) 1845; Name Book 1870.

The remains of Aikenway Castle are situated on a flat topped promontory approached from the SE along a narrow ridge.

All that survives is part of a crumbling tower about 2.0m internal diameter and about 1.6m high, within a wall 0.5m thick, on the SW edge of the promontory, incorporated in a barmekin wall which enclosed the promontory, and now reduced to its footings and partly utilised as a later dyke. Landslip has destroyed it in the NW. The wall to the W of the tower is about 1.7m thick and may represent the S wall of the castle. The enclosed area has been cultivated and is featureless. It is possible that the sides of the promontory have been artifically steepened, but there is no firm evidence to support McWatt's statement referring to artificial scarping.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (A A) 23 April 1971.

No change since report of 23 April 1971.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (J B) 18 October 1976.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions