Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Elder Park, Cottage

Cafe (Modern), Cottage (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Elder Park, Cottage

Classification Cafe (Modern), Cottage (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Park House; Lavatories

Canmore ID 164115

Site Number NS56NW 158

NGR NS 54475 65839

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/164115

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Site Management (1 September 2001)

Conversion probably in 1885 of cottage as park amenity, with toilets, flanking wings each with open verandah. Rubble-built, ashlar dressings, slate roofs. COTTAGE: earlier 19th century, presumably a farmhouse originally. Single storey and attic, central doorway with panelled door, fanlight and consoled hood; margined windows (sashes) flanking; gabled stone wall-head dormers have moulded window reveals and date from conversion; end stacks. FLANKING WINGS: perhaps originally part of farm steading; each now with big piended roof with cast-iron columned verandah open to front and to either flank.

Elder Park was gifted to the citizens of Govan in 1885 by Mrs John Elder in memory of her husband, the shipbuilder. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions