Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Craigneach Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Craigneach Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Elchies Castle; Place Of Elchies

Canmore ID 16393

Site Number NJ24SW 6

NGR NJ 2382 4250

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16393

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Knockando
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ24SW 6 2382 4250.

(NJ 2382 4250) Craigneach Castle (NAT) (Ruins of)

OS 6"map, (1959)

All that remains of Craigneach Castle is its name.

R Douglas 1936.

The foundations of the Castle and of the enclosure walls give the impression that this was a place of considerable size and strength. One local inhabitant referred to it as 'Elchies Castle' and Mackintosh suggests that it may be the 'Place of Elchies' plundered by Covenanters in 1645, but nothing is really known of it.

H B Mackintosh 1924.

Craigneach Castle, the foundations of a substantial L-shaped building, c 4.5m internal width, with traces of probably later additions to the N, in a commanding situation on a spur. Only the base course of the walls, 1.3m thick, survive, turf-covered and showing no trace of mortar.

The building stands within the remains of a dry-stone enclosure wall, (?barmkin), destroyed in the W for access to plough the interior.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R L) 12 March 1971.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions