Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Glasgow, Carmunnock Road, Cathcart Old Parish Church And Hall

Church (20th Century), Church Hall (20th Century), Session House (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Carmunnock Road, Cathcart Old Parish Church And Hall

Classification Church (20th Century), Church Hall (20th Century), Session House (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 119 Carmunnock Road

Canmore ID 163891

Site Number NS56SE 591

NGR NS 58869 60619

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/163891

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Cathcart (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Cathcart Old Parish Church and Session House, 119 Carmunnock Road, 1914, H E Clifford

Perpendicular Gothic, completed and opened 1929, Watson, Salmond & Gray. Big buttresses, square tower, simplified hammerbeam roof, stained glass, some by Douglas Hamilton and by R Anning Bell. Cathcart Old Parish Manse, No 115, c.1914, possibly H E Clifford. Matching grey stone, to north of church, mullioned windows, broad-eaved slate roof. Cathcart Old Parish Churchyard, No 118. Roofless tower and west gable, the remaining fragments of original church, 1830, James Dempster. Also in churchyard contemporary Watchhouse built into boundary wall and important monuments including: pair of late medieval recumbent slabs; recumbent 1685 Martyrs' slab; John McIntyre Monument, 1867, Alexander Thomson, Egypto-Greek domed cylinder; Thomas Brown of Langside aisle, 1782, possibly Robert Adam, neoclassical.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NS56SE 591.00 58869 60619

NS56SE 591.01 58822 60648 Old Parish Manse

Glasgow, 119 Carmunnock Road, Cathcart Old Parish Church - Church and Hall.

Architect: Henry Edward Clifford, c.1928.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Sources: Strathclyde Regional Archives

Pollock Maxwell Collection.

Plans (4) of Cathcart Church. 2 elevations, ground plan and gallery. Tinted. No date.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions