Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Arndilly House

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Arndilly House

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 16330

Site Number NJ24NE 1

NGR NJ 29047 47105

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16330

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Boharm
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ24NE 1.00 29047 47105.

(NJ 2905 4710 ) Arndilly House on Site of Church (NR).

OS 6"map, (1959)

NJ24NE 1.01 28360 48011Home Farm

NJ24NE 1.02 29627 45786 MacDowall Bridge

Arndilly House is built upon the site of a church, vestiges of which remained "till within the memory of man". (About 1760-70 ).

J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; NSA (written by L W Forbes - 1836) 1845.

During alterations to Arndilly House in 1965 about 20 skeletons, to which no date could be attached, were found lying E to W under the N part of the house at NJ 2904 4711.

These are obviously part of a burial ground associated with the church, about which no further information could be obtained.

Visited by OS (R L) 5 July 1967; Information contained in letter from Dr J McKenzie, Dept of Anatomy, Marischal College, Aberdeen to OS, 22 September 1965.

INVENTORY OF GRAVEYARD AND CEMETERY SITES IN SCOTLAND REFERENCE:

Address: Arndilly House, Moray

Postcode: AB38 9QS

Status: Abandoned

Size: N/a

Polygon: No

TOIDs: 1000002063767181 (site of)

Number of gravestones: N/a

Earliest gravestone: N/a

Most recent gravestone: N/a

Description: Graveyard associated with a church, no remains visible

Data Sources: OS MasterMap checked 23 June 2005

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Mrs Menzies of Menzies

Architect: Thomas Mackenzie, Elgin (new house) remodelled 1850

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Plans:-

National Library - Nates Drawings:

1 drawing, vol. 111 no. 39 - back of the old house of Arndilly

1 " " no. 40 of Arndilly House

1 " " no. 41 of old dwelling house of Arndilly

1 " " no. 42 of part of the office

1 " " no. 43 from Gamekeeper's House 22.10.1799

1 " " no. 44 south view of old house

1 " " no. 45 Arndilly House seat of col. McDowall Grant with part of the old house

1 " " no. 47 " " " " " " " "

Activities

Photographic Survey (21 August 2013)

Courtyard house with lower wings. Original house c. 1750 built for David Macdowall Grant, altered in 1850 in a fashionable Jacobean style by Thomas Mackenzie.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions