Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Achdregnie

Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Achdregnie

Classification Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Glenlivet; Auchdregnie

Canmore ID 16299

Site Number NJ22SW 1

NGR NJ 2407 2480

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16299

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Inveravon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

About 500m to the north-west of Achdregnie steading there are the much reduced remains of a group of standing stones. A nineteenth century source describes the stones as comprising two groups of irregularly shaped stones and slabs, though none stood more than around 0.6m in height. In 1966 the Ordnance Survey reported that only the stumps of three stones could be seen through the turf.

Local tradition maintains that the standing stones have an association with the Battle of Glenlivet, where the Roman Catholic Earl of Huntly and his allies defeated the considerably larger forces of the Duke of Argyll in 1594. The age of this stone setting remains to be determined.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NJ22SW 1 2407 2480

See also NJ22SW 30.

(NJ 2407 2480) Standing Stones (NR)

OS 6" map, Bannffshire, 2nd ed., (1903)

Described in Name Book (1869) as two groups of small irregular slabs or stones up to 2' high, traditionally connected with the Battle of Glenlivet; but shown on 1st ed. 25" as separate stones. Coles could find no trace of them.

Name Book 1869; F R Coles 1907.

Of the six stones shown on the OS 25" 1903, only the stumps of three of them can be seen just protruding through the ground surface. Insufficient remains to allow positive identification. Three stones Re-surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (NKB) 25 August 1966.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions