Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Nevie, Chapel Of Christ And Burial Ground

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Nevie, Chapel Of Christ And Burial Ground

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 16297

Site Number NJ22NW 2

NGR NJ 2069 2765

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16297

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Inveravon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Accessing Scotland's Past

A late eighteenth-century source describes the remains of a chapel, probably medieval in date, which formerly stood near the eastern bank of the River Livet, about 200m west of Bridge of Nevie.

At the time the account was written, only slight remains were visible of the site, known as 'Chapel Christ', and it was noted that the river had washed away the associated burial ground. By 1869, no trace of any building could be found at the site.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ22NW 2 2069 2765

(NJ 2069 2765) Chapel of Christ (NR) (Site of).

OS 6"map, Bannffshire, 2nd ed., (1905)

Slight remains of a chapel called 'Chapel Christ' were visible in 1794, though the burial ground had been washed away. By 1869 all traces had been obliterated.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1791-9; Name Book 1869.

There is no trace of this chapel: no further information.

Visited by OS (R L) 24 August 1966.

INVENTORY OF GRAVEYARD AND CEMETERY SITES IN SCOTLAND REFERENCE:

Address: Chapel of Christ, Nevie, Moray

Postcode: AB37 9DN

Status: Abandoned

Size: N/a

Polygon: No

TOIDs: 1000000172532438 (site of)

Number of gravestones: N/a

Earliest gravestone: N/a

Most recent gravestone: N/a

Description: Burial ground associated with a chapel, no remains of either existing

Data Sources: OS MasterMap checked 23 June 2005.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions