Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 1a Drumoyne Drive, Elder Cottage Hospital

Hospital (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 1a Drumoyne Drive, Elder Cottage Hospital

Classification Hospital (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Drumoyne Road; Langlands Drive

Canmore ID 162817

Site Number NS56NW 135

NGR NS 54408 65497

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/162817

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Elder Cottage Hospital, 1a Drumoyne Drive, Langlands Road, 1902, J J Burnet

Rich late 17th-century English Renaissance, remarkable bracketed and arched entry hood over columned central porch, a sculpted panel over. Bellcast roof and gabled dormers, details typical of many smaller country houses influenced by Wren. West Block, No 2a, c.1902, J J Burnet. Harled building, with half-timber Tudor gables, broad eaves and bargeboards.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS56NW 135.00 54408 65497

NS56NW 135.01 54376 65497 Nurses' Home

Architecture Notes

NMRS Notes:

Glasgow, Drumoyne Drive, Elder Cottage Hospital and nurse's home.

Architect: Sir John James Burnet, 1910-1914.

Activities

Publication Account (2009)

Isabella Elder’s Elder Cottage Hospital on Drumoyne Road was built in 1910–12, and a contemporary nurses’ home lies opposite (figs 5.40 & 5.41; McAlpine 1997, 170–3; Williamson et al 1990, 593–4). The architecture of each has a domestic theme, and the hospital was originally intended as a maternity home. It opened as a general hospital, however, with medical and surgical beds and an operating theatre. More recently, until final closure in 1987, it was used for convalescing patients from the Southern General.

Information from ‘The Scottish Burgh Survey, Historic Govan: Archaeology and Development’ (2009).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions