Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Cambuslang Bridge

Railway Bridge (19-20th Century)(Possible), Road Bridge (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Cambuslang Bridge

Classification Railway Bridge (19-20th Century)(Possible), Road Bridge (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River Clyde; Cambuslang Railway Bridge; Rosebank Bridge

Canmore ID 162553

Site Number NS66SW 258

NGR NS 6408 6102

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/162553

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Cambuslang (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66SW 258 64076 61026

Location formerly cited as NS 6408 6102.

For Cambuslang Footbridge (adjacent to E), see NS66SW 969.

Cambuslang Bridge [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1980.

Cambuslang Bridge, from Cambuslang Road to Bridge Street. 1892, engineer Crouch and Hogg. The flimsiest bridge in the city to carry road traffic over the Clyde, and subject to a vehicle weight restriction. Three spans of steel lattice girders, only two girders in the width, and about 30m (100ft) span, supported by cylindrical masonry piers which rise almost 6m (20ft) above water level.

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs 1990.

A bridge is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Lanarkshire 1864, sheet xi) carring a mineral railway serving a number of coal mines and the Clyde Iron works (NS66SW 259).

Hume's photographs of the bridge shows that it is of a lattice girder design similar to that used by railway engineers. It seem likely that the railway bridge was converted for road traffic some time before Hume's photograph of 1977.

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 11 July 2000.

This bridge carries the A763 public road over the River Clyde to the S of Cambuslang. The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Old Monkland (to the N) and Cambuslang (to the S).

The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the span. The available map evidence indicates that the structure extends from NS c. 64056 61071 to NS c. 64094 60988.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 9 January 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions