Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Pollokshaws Road, Pollok Park, Pollok House, Stables

Stable (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, Pollokshaws Road, Pollok Park, Pollok House, Stables

Classification Stable (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 162548

Site Number NS56SW 31.03

NGR NS 54994 61662

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/162548

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Eastwood (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Lodge, Pollok House, 97 Haggs Road, 1892, R Rowand Anderson. Scottish classical with shallow conical slate roof over a broad semicircular bay window. Shawmuir Lodge, Pollok Avenue, 2060 Pollokshaws Road, 1891, Robert Rowand Anderson. Scots Classical Lodge with bell-cast slate hipped roof. Tall square gatepiers with urns and decorative wrought-iron gates. Estate Bridge over River Cart, 1757. Single wide segmental arch, balustraded parapet, roadway widens at abutments. Stables Range, 17th to 19th century. Courtyard Range on site of previous house, the Laigh Castle, includes handsome Renaissance gateway (north-west side) and more 17th-century work incorporated into later buildings. Weir, Sawmill and Power Station, c.1860 for Sir John Stirling-Maxwell. Weir may be 18th century. Single-storey brick sawmill with early machinery, although a turbine replaces the low-breast water wheel. Late 19th-century Power Station, with Waverley turbine by Carrick & Ritchie of Edinburgh.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NS56SW 31.03 54994 61662

EXTERNAL REF:

Strathclyde Regional Archives, Pollok Maxwell Collection

Pollok Stables, 1867. 3 plans for stables at Pollok. " ground plans and an elevation. Tinted. By Wilson And Tomson 29 St Vincent Pl. 1867.

Site Management (18 December 2007)

Ranges of different dates, mainly 17th-19th century; formerly stables to Pollok house, but at site of previous house (the Laighe Castle) and containing much re-used 17th century work; fragments at E corner said to be of c. 1536 tower. Mostly rubble, ashlar dressings, 2- storey elevations, small-paned sashes, tall stacks, slate roofs. RANGE TO NW incorporates handsome 17th century renaissance gateway, pend, margined openings, big roof ventilator; RANGE TO NE built in 3 stages, the centre probably a later 19th century rebuild, incorporating carved fragments, now with uniform eaves level and roof, further range to E; SW range also built in stages. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions