Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 93-95 Hyndland Street, Dowanhill United Presbyterian Church

Church (Period Unassigned), Theatre (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, 93-95 Hyndland Street, Dowanhill United Presbyterian Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Theatre (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cottier Theatre; Dowanhill Parish Church; Hyndland Road

Canmore ID 162515

Site Number NS56NE 1289

NGR NS 56078 66960

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/162515

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Cottier Theatre, 93 Hyndland Street, 1865, William Leiper

Former Dowanhill Church and Halls, won in competition, beating John Honeyman, until then the recognised United Presbyterian church architect. Leiper had trained with Boucher & Cousland, then gained experience in several offices, before entering a partnership in 1864 with Robert Grieve Melvin. Melvin had inherited James Smith's office and they now completed the latter's design for Stirling's Library (see Central Glasgow Guide). Soon after his competition success, Leiper split with Melvin to set up his own practice. Dowanhill, superbly designed in elongated Gothic, is a typical Normandy church. With its fine tall steeple and spire, the church dominates the skyline from both Dumbarton Road and Byres Road. Inside is a three-sided gallery on cast-iron columns under a hammerbeam roof. Daniel Cottier stained glass and fragments of stencilled interior wall decorations. Converted to theatre, late 1980s, Ian Begg. Restored from 1997, Four Acres Charitable Trust, with drawings by Nicholas Groves-Raines. The Trust, with Lottery funding, is progressing plans to open a Cottier Study and Exhibition Centre.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NS56NE 1289.00 56082 66961

NS56NE 1289.01 56063 66963 Hall

Dowanhill Parish Church (C of S) [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1981.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Glasgow, 93 Hyndland Street, Dowanhill Parish Church.

ARCHITECT: William Leiper, 1865.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Competition won by Leiper aged 26, establishing reputation as master of Gothic. Interior stencilling and stained glass by Daniel Cottier. Organ by Henry Willis and Sons Ltd. Converted to Cottier Theatre complex 1989-95, incorporating restaurant and bar in halls.

Four Acres Charitable Trust 2001.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions