Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Musselburgh, Tram Depot

Archaeological Feature (Medieval), Tram Depot (20th Century)

Site Name Musselburgh, Tram Depot

Classification Archaeological Feature (Medieval), Tram Depot (20th Century)

Canmore ID 162446

Site Number NT37SW 558

NGR NT 347 727

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/162446

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Inveresk (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Test Pit Survey (1994)

In 1994 SUAT undertook a test pit survey in the area behind 12-16 High Street, Musselburgh. Five pits were opened in the area 65m to 110m behind the street frontage with a further eight pits excavated in the back lot some 115 to 325m behind the street frontage. No evidence for former property boundaries was recorded in any of the pits but possible building foundations were revealed in the northernmost test pits.

Information from Addyman Associates (2001), NMRS MS 1082/13

Archaeological Evaluation (January 2001)

An archaeological evaluation and watching brief was conducted on the open ground, used as a car park, to the rear of 12-16 High Street Musselburgh, that had most recently (in the early 20th century) been used as a tram depot. Excavations revealed a significant, pre -19th century archaeological deposits. Although heavily truncated in some areas, the site retained a very good sequence of archaeological deposits dating back some 800 years, including a major component of medieval occupation.

Information from Addyman Associates 2001, NMRS MS 1082/13

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions