Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Quarrelwood Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Quarrelwood Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Quarrywood

Canmore ID 16215

Site Number NJ16SE 12

NGR NJ 1808 6420

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16215

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Spynie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ16SE 12 1808 6420.

(NJ 1808 6420) Quarrelwood Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, Morayshire, 2nd ed., (1906)

Quarrelwood Castle is supposed to have been erected by Sir Robert Lauder between 1333 and 1360. Possessed by the Sutherlands until after 1700 it was occupied until the middle of the 18th century, when it became ruinous and was removed piecemeal by the tenantry until the foundation was erased by the late Revd. Alex. Simpson, Minister of Spynie.

Name Book 1871.

No further information was found during field investigation. No trace of any remains were seen at the site.

Visited by OS (W D J) 3 January 1962.

An archaeological evaluation was carried out between 15 - 22 May 2001 in response to an application to build houses at Quarrywood, Spynie, Moray. All the trial trenches identified in the evaluation proposal were excavated, with the exception of the most southerly one adjacent to the road which was located in an area of water services, and, as a consequence, already heavily disturbed.

The only archaeological features and finds observed were in the southern sector of the site, while the northern sector was devoid of visible archaeological features.

The assessment has firmly established that a castle almost certainly existed here, enclosed, in part, by a substantial ditch. It was not possible to locate the actual site of the castle itself, but this may well be an indication that it lies in the agricultural area to the N, and possibly just bordering on, the present development. It is also quite clear from the 'rig and furrow' found that cultivation in the medieval period was carried out immediately S of the ditch.

It is clear from the assessment that the main archaeological feature is the 14th century ditch, located in Trenches 6 and 7. What is still unclear, however, is how far the ditch extends in its SE to NW direction.

J Murray 27th June 2001.

Activities

Watching Brief (5 December 2011 - 7 August 2015)

A watching brief was undertaken in 2011 and 2015 on ground to the rear of 1 Quarrywood Cottages, Spynie, in advance of the construction of a new dwelling. The area proved to have been deeply disturbed by the use and subsequent demolition of cottages shown on the 1868 and 1904 OS maps. No archaeological finds or features were observed.

Information from OASIS ID: mas1-220793 (J C Murray) 2015

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions