Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cummingston

Engraved Object (Horn)

Site Name Cummingston

Classification Engraved Object (Horn)

Alternative Name(s) 'Caves Of Caussie'

Canmore ID 16151

Site Number NJ16NW 14

NGR NJ 132 691

NGR Description NJ c. 132 691

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16151

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Duffus
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ16NW 14 c. 132 691.

An ancient (16th - 17th century {Information from R B K Stevenson, NMAS}) horn, bearing exquisite carving, the most prominent of which are; a standing crowned figure holding a round shield, a hand, holding a pointed dagger, with a star of 8 points and a similar but smallerhand and dagger high up the horn, was found, by tinkers, in one of the dry sea caves, a considerable distance above HWM, at Cummingston. (This may be in the harbour office, Burghead.)

H W Young 1904.

About 2 miles east of Burghead a range of rocky cliffs commences, containing a series of caves .... called the Caves of Caussie which are the resort of tinkers.

G Anderson 1834.

There are a number of caves in the rocky cliffs in the area centred on NJ 1320 6917, but it could not be established where this horn was found. Local enquiries regarding the 'Caves of Caussie' always resulted in the name being associated with the caves east of Hopeman, ie the caves at Covesea.

No knowledge of this horn was found at the Museum in the harbour-masters office Burghead.

Visited by OS (W D J) 16 September 1963.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions