Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Fountainhall Station

Railway Junction (19-20th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Fountainhall Station

Classification Railway Junction (19-20th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) The Waverley Line; Edinburgh To Hawick Branch Railway; Fountainhall Junction Station

Canmore ID 160820

Site Number NT44NW 33.01

NGR NT 42728 49793

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/160820

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Stow
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT44NW 33 42728 49793

The station and house is described in the Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey as ' A dwelling house with Booking Office on the N.B. Railway at Fountainhall'.

Name Book 1853

Station (disused) [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1981.

This intermediate station on the Edinburgh-Carlisle main line (the 'Waverley Route') of the former North British Rly was also the junction station for the branch line to Oxton and Lauder. It opened on 4 August 1848 as Fountainhall Station, but was renamed Fountainhall Junction Station on 2 July 1901, presumably at the opening of the branch. The branch closed to regular passenger traffic on 12 September 1932, but the name of the station did not revert to Fountainhall Station until April 1959. The major portion of the Waverley Route, between Carlisle (No. 3 signal box) and Edinburgh (Portobello East Junction), closed to regular passenger traffic on 6 January 1969.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 28 November 2005.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995.

The station building survives in use as a domestic residence. Built of course rubble with red sandstone dressings and slated roof, the building stands on what was the N end of the down side platform and on the W side of the trackbed. At this point a minor road leading from the A7 trunk road crossed the line on a level crossing guarded by a now demolished signal box which stood at NT 42716 49827. A footbridge also stood in this area.

The platform and trackbed area has been converted into a garden following the closure of the line in 1969.

The station was opened as a junction in 1901 following the construction of the Lauder Branch, it was renamed in 1959 as Fountainhall after the final closure of the branch and closed in 1969.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), July 2006; R J V Butt 1995

Following a further visit to record the remains, it was noted that the down platform survives within the garden area and a stone building, the former water tower remains on the platform. The down and bay platforms have been completely removed and subsequently landscaped. A well was noted to the rear of the water tower.

The Ordnance Survey Object Name Book describes the station before the Lauder branch was built.

Activities

Complete Demolition

The former Fountainhall Station water tower and up platform were demolished in 2014 during works to reinstate the Waverley rail line.

Standing Building Recording

An Enhanced standing building survey was carried out by CFA Archaeology in

September 2014 on the water tower and platform which were surviving components

of the former Fountainhall railway station once serving the Edinburgh-

Carlisle main line (the Waverley Route) of the former North British

Railway. The station opened on 4 August 1848 and closed in 1969

with the closure of the major part of the Waverly Route. The water

tower was situated on the west side of the up platform and comprised

a stone-built structure. Historical photographs show that a cast-iron

water tank surmounted the stone structure. This was removed along

with a chimney stack that was attached to the structure following the

demise of steam driven trains.

The remains of the up platform survived for a length of 125m and

this was constructed of brickwork that faced a bank of coal waste

which formed the main body of the platform structure.

Sbc Note

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions