Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Asliesk Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Asliesk Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Rees Well; Aslisk Castle

Canmore ID 16081

Site Number NJ15NW 1

NGR NJ 1085 5974

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Alves
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ15NW 1 1085 5974.

(NJ 1085 5974) Asliesk Castle (NR) (Ruin).

OS 6" map, Morayshire, 2nd ed., (1906)

Asliesk Castle was an extensive and interesting example of a castle of the 4th period ie. betweeen 1542 and 1700. All that now remains is part of the west gable.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

The foundations can be traced for a number of yards. In the farm-square is the old well of the castle. It is of considerable depth. In a gable is a stone with coat of arms bearing date 1587. This is the only sculptured stone about the place.

Near Asliesk Castle on the south "there is a physic well called the Rees well ... very much used by such as are gravelish".

W Macfarlane 1906-8.

The remains of Asliesk Castle are as described above. The well, which was at NJ 1087 5972, 5.0m E of the farm steadings, was filled in c.1950 and no trace of it can now be seen. The name 'Rees Well' was not known. The stone bearing the coat-of-arms has been built into a new farm building gable at NJ 1087 5971.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R D) 6 August 1965.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions