Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gorebridge Station

Footbridge (Period Unassigned), Public House (Period Unassigned), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Gorebridge Station

Classification Footbridge (Period Unassigned), Public House (Period Unassigned), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) The Waverley Line; Porters Public House; Edinburgh To Hawick Branch Railway

Canmore ID 160792

Site Number NT36SW 49

NGR NT 34535 61267

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/160792

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Borthwick
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36SW 49 34535 61267

The station is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghsire, 1854, sheet 13) and the Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey describes it as 'A station for passengers and goods on the Edinburgh and Hawick branch of the North British Railway' and as 'A station for passengers... immediately adjoining the Village of Gorebridge'.

Name Book 1852

The station building is now Porter's, a public house and restaurant. The footbridge has been removed.

Opened in 1847 as part of the Edinburgh to Hawick Branch Railway, closed in 1969.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), July 2006.

R J V Butt 1995

Photographed in 2007 as part of a survey of Waverley Line remains in advance of proposed rebuilding of the railway and to enhance and augment the existing holdings of the National Monuments Record Scotland.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), April 2007.

Architecture Notes

NT36SW 49 34535 61267

The L-shaped station house and ticket office of the former Gorebridge Railway Station is situated about 114m SW of the road overbridge carrying Station Road and Main Street.

It is built of red sandstone has three bays and is now in use as a public house named 'Porters'. Single storey extension with railings at roof level to SW elevation. Map evidence shows an extension is extant in the mid-19th century. No evidence of platforms in heavy undergroowth, but may survive in area immediately to N of building.

Originally built for the North British Railway Edinburgh to Hawick branch, the station opened on the 12th of July 1847. The station was closed with the rest of the Waverley Line in January 1969.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), 1 August 2006

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions