Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 423 Paisley Road West, Iqra Academy

School (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 423 Paisley Road West, Iqra Academy

Classification School (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Bellahouston Academy Annexe Main Block; Bellahouston Primary School; Govan High School; Gower Street; Clifford Street

Canmore ID 160658

Site Number NS56SE 373

NGR NS 56204 64349

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/160658

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Bellahouston Academy Annexe, 423 Paisley Road West, 1875, Robert Baldie

Long symmetrical Baronial front, with central tower and the usual crowsteps, oriels and iron-crested mansard roof. Built as a private boarding school, altered 1903 to standard Board School. Better known for his gothic churches, Baldie also designed the Baronial offices for the Carron Iron Works, 1875, demolished 1980s (see Falkirk & District Guide).

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NS56SE 373 56204 64349

Govan High School [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1964.

Architect: Robert Baldie 1875.

Architect: Donald Bruce & E.A.B. Hay 1901; block to West.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Publication Account (2009)

Bellahouston Academy, originally a private, semi-boarding institution, was taken over by the board in 1885.

Information from ‘The Scottish Burgh Survey, Historic Govan: Archaeology and Development’ (2009).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions