Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Portincaple, Whistlefield Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Portincaple, Whistlefield Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Whistlefield Halt; Finnart Farm

Canmore ID 160624

Site Number NS29SW 25

NGR NS 2351 9300

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/160624

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Rhu
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS29SW 25 2351 9300

See also NS29SW 36.

This intermediate station on the Glasgow-Helensburgh-Crianlarich-Fort William route (the 'West Highland line') of the former North British Rly. was opened (by the West Highland Rly.) on 1 May 1896. It was renamed Whistlefield Halt on 13 June 1960 and closed to regular passenger traffic on 15 June 1964; the line remains in use.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 5 April 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

See also NS29SW 36. The relationship between this station and the house at Whistlefield cannot be ascertained from the available map evidence.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 20 April 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions