Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Greenlaw, The Square, Mercat Cross

Market Cross (19th Century)

Site Name Greenlaw, The Square, Mercat Cross

Classification Market Cross (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) High Street; Market Cross; The Green

Canmore ID 160490

Site Number NT74NW 55

NGR NT 71143 46038

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/160490

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Greenlaw
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

The market cross in Greenlaw was erected in 1829, following the removal of its predecessor to make way for the construction of the County Buildings.

Apparently an exact replica of the earlier structure, the cross comprises a column with a Corinthian capital, upon which sits a lion holding the Marchmont coat-of-arms.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT74NW 55 71143 46038

NT74NW 17 7115 4614 The Old Market Cross

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions