Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 95 Morrison Street, Scottish Co-op Wholesale Society Building

Warehouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, 95 Morrison Street, Scottish Co-op Wholesale Society Building

Classification Warehouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Co-operative House; 34-44 Dalintober Street; 19-37 Carnoustie Street; Head Office

Canmore ID 160414

Site Number NS56SE 386

NGR NS 58029 64587

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/160414

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Co-operative House, 95 Morrison Street, 1886-93, Bruce & Hay

The SCWS Head Office complex was built in several stages; the first started at the corner of Wallace Street and was entered at 44 Dalintober Street. Above their Flemish Renaissance warehouse, Bruce & Hay sited the elaborately panelled Co-op Hall, with its Corinthian columns and hammerbeam roof, while behind was another panelled Committee Room. Alongside, at 34 Dalintober Street, in 1888, they added a five-storey crowstep-gabled warehouse, topped by a carved lion and shield. This building linked through to 19-37 Carnoustie Street, where a Jacobean storage and production building, 1891, also Bruce & Hay, occupied the rest of the block through to Wallace Street. In 1893 Bruce & Hay won a competition for the last part, the real headquarters. A symmetrical landmark with elaborately detailed French Renaissance four-storey pavilions, capped by distinctive square domes. Said, although denied at the time, to be their unsuccessful design for the City Chambers. Complex converted to 80 loft apartments and family homes, with ground-floor shops, bars and restaurants, around new courtyard. Workshops and studio spaces also provided, 1997, Glass Murray Architects.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS56SE 386.00 58029 64587

see also: NS56SE 386.01 5819 6454 Warehouse.

NS56SE 386.02 5828 6449 Engineering Works.

Architecture Notes

Architect: Donald Bruce & E. A. B. Hay.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions