Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tullochcarron Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Tullochcarron Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Castletown; Ballindalloch Estate; Ballindalloch Castle Policies

Canmore ID 16009

Site Number NJ13NE 6

NGR NJ 1802 3502

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16009

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Inveravon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

A nineteenth-century source recorded that foundations of a castle were found during building work about 400m from the west bank of the River Avon, when farm buildings were being constructed.

No trace of any buildings can be seen today, and there is no local knowledge of any structures here. The buildings on the site are called Castletown, but this is apparently the only surviving evidence that such a structure once stood here.

It was recorded that the current estate of Ballindalloch was once divided into two, and that this castle was the seat of the laird of the portion on the west side of the Avon.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NJ13NE 6 1802 3502.

For Ballindalloch Castle (NJ 1785 3654) and associated buildings, see NJ13NE 4.00.

(NJ 1802 3502) Tullochcarron Castle (NR). (Site of)

OS 6" map, Banffshire, 2nd ed., (1905)

The Ballindalloch estate was at one time divided into two and the laird of the portion on the left bank of the Avon had his castle here; old foundations were found during the building of Castletown. (Name Book 1869)

The name is apparently unexplained and no other evidence can be found.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Name Book 1869.

No trace and no local information.

Visited by OS (N K B) 12 July 1967.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions