Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Stripe

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Castle Stripe

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Ballindalloch Old Castle; Castle Strype; Ballindalloch Castle Policies

Canmore ID 16008

Site Number NJ13NE 5

NGR NJ 1848 3611

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16008

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Inveravon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

The remains of a tower-house, probably of fifteenth-century date, lie about 300m east of the River Avon. It may have been the seat of the Grant family and the predecessor of nearby Ballindalloch Castle.

This tower house was built in a typically defensive position, occupying the top of a steep bank leading down to a burn.

The remains, which are now mainly covered in turf, indicate that the building measured about 15m by 9m internally, with walls that were about 2.5m thick. An area of disturbed ground to the north-west and a short stretch of wall leading west may indicate the remains of a courtyard or outbuildings.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NJ13NE 5 1848 3611

For Ballindalloch Castle (NJ 1785 3654) and associated buildings, see NJ13NE 4.00.

(NJ 1848 3611) Castle (NR). (Site of)

OS 6" map, Banffshire, 2nd ed., (1905)

Traces of a large building, said to be the old castle of Ballindalloch, were visible in 1869.

NSA 1836; Name Book 1869.

The turf-covered remains of a castle, almost certainly a 15th century towerhouse, situated on the NW end of a broad ridge protected on the N by a steep gully of the burn known as Castle Stripe, and in the W by a gentle slope; a reasonable defensive position. It measures internally 14.6m NE-SW by 8.7m NW-SE, with walls of rubble masonry bonded with lime mortar, 2.4m thick. Only a broken single course of the inner and outer wall faces are discernible, but the wall core survives to a maximum height of 1.7m. A short section of walling leading from the W angle, and some ground disturbance to the NW of the castle may indicate the presence of a courtyard or outbuildings.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 12 July 1967.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions