Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pitchroy

Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Site Name Pitchroy

Classification Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Canmore ID 15992

Site Number NJ13NE 13

NGR NJ 1782 3823

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15992

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Knockando
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Two standing stones situated in an arable field are probably all that remains of a stone circle which may have surrounded an Early Bronze Age Clava Cairn.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NJ13NE 13 1782 3823.

(NJ 1782 3823) Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map, Banffshire, 2nd ed., (1900)

The remains of a stone circle consisting of two stones about 28' apart. A third stone lay at the back of the road dyke (Name Book 1870) in 1870. Both remaining stones are of whinstone veined with quartz, the easterly being a tall rugged block 7'1" high at its south angle, but only 5'9" at its north edge, and narrow at base. The other stone, now fallen measures 10' 4" by 3'8" by 3' thick at one end.

The third stone had been used as a chimney piece in the kitchen of Pitchroy (NJ 1770 3796) before being returned to the area.

Name Book 1870; F R Coles 1907.

All that remains of this stone circle are the two stones described by Coles. Their alignment suggests that they form part of the S and W arcs of the original circle. The pecked circle shown on OS 25"map is thus incorrect, the result of conjecture on the behalf of the OS surveyor of the time. The ground around the stone is ploughed and there is nothing to help classify the site.

There is no trace of the third stone noted by Coles.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (A A) 3 March 1971.

Activities

Field Visit (24 September 1943)

Standing Stones, Pitchroy Lodge.

On a small level terrace some 50ft above the Spey, just W of the highroad at a point about midwat between Pitchroy Lodge and Ballintomb, there are two stones, one standing the other fallen. Their bases are 7ft 6in apart, on a line running from WNW to ESE. It is the eastern stone that is still erect; it is 6ft 8in high, 4ft broad and 1ft 3in thick. The true hieght of the fallen stone - measurable as its foot is exposed - is 8ft 6in; it is 3ft 6in broad and 1ft 6in thick.

Visited by RCAHMS 24 September 1943

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions