Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 52 Old Dalmarnock Road, Sacred Heart Church

Church (20th Century), Gate Pier (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, 52 Old Dalmarnock Road, Sacred Heart Church

Classification Church (20th Century), Gate Pier (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 50-56 Old Darmanock Road

Canmore ID 159776

Site Number NS66SW 141

NGR NS 60892 63663

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/159776

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

RC Church of the Sacred Heart, 50 Old Dalmarnock Road, 1909, Charles Jean (C J) Menart

Stern red sandstone exterior to Roman basilica. Internal concrete vault brilliantly lit from Venetian-windowed clerestory. Marble features in the chancel. Charles Baillie fresco, restored, 1954, William Crosbie; over the altar, Figure of Christ, 1954, Jack Mortimer; Stations of the Cross, 1954, William Crosbie. Jack Coia altered the ceiling in 1953. (See also this Belgian architect's more lavish St Aloysius, Garnethill, Central Glasgow Guide.) Presbytery, 1890, Pugin & Pugin. Plainer, rubble with ashlar dressings, top floor set back above main cornice, gabled dormer heads.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions