Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blairfindy Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Blairfindy Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Castleton Of Blairfindy

Canmore ID 15970

Site Number NJ12NE 4

NGR NJ 19834 28642

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15970

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Inveravon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Accessing Scotland's Past

The ruins of Blairfindy Castle, a tower-house, overlook the banks of the River Livet near the modern hamlet of Castleton.

Completed in 1564 by John Gordon, Blairfindy is L-shaped on plan, consisting of a three-storeyed main block and a wing which contains the principal stair to the first floor. An interesting feature is the box machicolation which projects from the wall above the entrance. Such defences were characteristic of medieval castles, where they allowed objects to be dropped down onto attackers during a siege. On a tower-house of this relatively late date, though, the machicolation was a deliberately archaic addition which gave a war-like appearance to what was essentially a residential building.

In 1586, the castle passed to another branch of the Gordon family, when it became a hunting seat of the Earls of Huntly. A datestone set above the entrance was inserted at this time, bearing the initials IG and HG and the family's coat-of-arms.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ12NE 4 19834 28642

For (predecessor) tower-house of Drumin (NJ 1843 3034), see NJ13SE 2.

(NJ 1983 2862) Castle of Blairfindy (NR) (In Ruins).

OS 6"map, Banffshire, 2nd ed., (1905)

Blairfindy Castle, a hunting seat of the Earls of Huntly, was built in 1586 on the L-plan.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

Blairfindy Castle (MoW plaque), as described and planned by MacGibbon and Ross, is a roofless shell.

Visited by OS (R L) 15 August 1966.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions