Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inchcoonans Tile Works

Brick And Tile Works (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inchcoonans Tile Works

Classification Brick And Tile Works (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Errol Brick And Tile Works; Inchcoonans Tileworks; Errol Brickworks

Canmore ID 159628

Site Number NO22SW 83

NGR NO 23857 23336

NGR Description Centred NO 23857 23336

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/159628

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Errol
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO22SW 83 centred 23857 23336

Brick Works [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1992.

(Location cited [incorrectly] as NO 238 233). Inchcoonans Tile Works, 19th century. A notable group of circular and rectangular kilns, with four square-section chimney stalks, drying sheds and other buildings. Though rail transport is no longer used here, a 'jubilee' tip wagon is preserved as a flower container outside the office.

J R Hume 1977.

(Location cited [incorrectly] as NO 283 233). Errol brickworks, formerly Inchcoonans Tile Works. Pre-1863 - 1990, closed. Kilns: 1 rectangular downdraught, 2 round downdraught, 1 tunnel type, 1 modern shuttle kiln.

G Douglas and M Oglethorpe 1993, visited 1979.

NMRS, MS/500/54/3.

The First Edition of the OS 25 and 6-inch map (Perthshire, 1866, sheet 99.6), depicts the brickworks as roofed and annotates it as 'Errol Brick & Tile Works' also annotating a 'weighing machine'. By the date of the 2nd edition (ibid, 1901-1902), the map shows a tramway running from the associated clay pit to the works and the addition of a standard gauge railway siding from near the level crossing and former goods station to the NW (NO22SW 84).

The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey (ONB) describes the brickworks as 'An extensive brick and tile works situated one mile north west of Errol and adjacent to Inchcoonans Station , the property of John Adam Esq residing at Glasgow and wrought by him' (Name Book 1864).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), August 2008

Activities

Publication Account (2013)

ERROL BRICKWORKS/INCHCOONANS BRICKWORKS

Inchcoonans

One of the last traditional brickworks in Scotland, until it closed in 2008. Two beehive kilns of c1950 and two chimneys survive. Clay was extracted

from the pits on the east side of the road.

M Watson, 2013

Note (2013)

The site is now occupied by Mackie's ice cream making firm who make potato crisps at the site. The new factory was opened in August 2013.

The two remaining beehive kilns of the former brick and tile works sit within maintained landscaping.

Information from RCAHMS (MMD), 14 August 2013.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions