Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dumfries, Church Place, Robert Burns Statue

Statue (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dumfries, Church Place, Robert Burns Statue

Classification Statue (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Burns Statue At Greyfriars' Church; High Street; Castle Street

Canmore ID 159251

Site Number NX97NE 217

NGR NX 97140 76250

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/159251

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Dumfries
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Architecture Notes

NX97NE 217 97140 76250

The statue of Robert Burns stands in the centre of Dumfries and was commissioned by the town council of Dumfries in 1877. The model was created by sculptor Amelia Paton Hill and carved by Italian craftsmen in Carrara. It was unveiled in 1882. The figure of Robert Burns is portrayed in a seated position with a faithful dog at his feet. It was created in Carrara marble, with a sandstone plinth.

The statue was cleaned, repaired and restored in 2005. This involved repairing decayed areas affected by pollution, removing biological growth, cleaning and repairing water traps, removing 'pollution crust', which was upto 15mm thick. In addition, a number of cracks were treated and repaired, along with previous poor-quality repair work. Weathered areas of the statue were repaired. Finally, the sandstone plinth was repaired, cleaned and restored.

N Boyes 2005.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions