Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Strathy Point Lighthouse

Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Strathy Point Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Pentland Firth

Canmore ID 159172

Site Number NC86NW 42

NGR NC 82783 69641

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/159172

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Farr
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC86NW 42 82783 69641

Strathy Point Lighthouse [NAT]

OS 1:10,560 map, 1967.

Strathy Point lighthouse and its fog signal form the first all-electric lighthouse station in Scotland, being sanctioned in 1956 as a major light intended to fill a notable gap in coverage between Dunnet Head and Cape Wrath. A light in this location was first proposed in about 1900.

The station was first lighted in 1958 and automated in 1997. A two-panel optical apparatus of 250mm focal length rotates around a 1kw lamp to give a beam candlepower of 1,600,000; the lantern measures only about 7ft in diameter and this optic is only about one-quarter the size of that considered necessary twenty years earlier. The traditional round tower has been abandoned, and even the the 35ft concrete lantern tower is square, while the fog signal is a compressed-air diaphone with horns set at angles of 120 degrees to spread the sound.

The station buildings were designed by the board's engineer, P H Hyslop, and are laid out as a hollow square with covered-in passageways to give protection from the high winds on this exposed headland.

R W Munro 1979; K Allardyce 1998.

Activities

Construction (1958)

First all electrical lighthouse built in Scotland.

R W Munro 1979

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions