Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Jura, Skervuile Lighthouse

Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Jura, Skervuile Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Sound Of Jura

Canmore ID 158171

Site Number NR67SW 1

NGR NR 60457 71194

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/158171

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Jura
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR67SW 1 60457 71194

Skervuile Lighthouse [NAT]

OS (GIS) AIB, March 2008.

Location formerly entered as NR 6045 7129.

Not to be confused with Ruadh Sgeir Beacon (NR 72141 92698), for which see NR79SW 8.

This rock lighthouse was constructed to mark an isolated and dangerous group of stacks near the southern end of the Sound of Jura. It was constructed (as part of a major programme of construction) by David and Thomas Stevenson, and was first lit in 1865, having remained unlit for five years after its completion on account of a disagreement between the Commissioners of Northern Lights and the Board of Trade. It was reduced to the status of a minor light in 1945, when it was converted to automatic operation.

Access to this lighthouse was evidently difficult. In November 1881, a gale sank the Skervuile relief boat at her moorings in Lowlandman's Bay [name centred NR 568 727], Jura.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 31 March 2008.

R W Munro 1979; S Krauskopf 2001.

Activities

Construction (1865)

Light established in 1865.

R W Munro 1979

Modification (1945)

Automated in 1945.

R W Munro 1979

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions