Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalvey House

Country House (Post Medieval)

Site Name Dalvey House

Classification Country House (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Dalvey House Estate; Dalvey House Policies; Grangehill

Canmore ID 15809

Site Number NJ05NW 31

NGR NJ 00392 58661

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15809

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Dyke And Moy
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ05NW 31.00 00392 58661

NJ05NW 31.01 NJ 00351 58732 Dovecot

NJ05NW 31.02 NJ 00137 58943 West Lodge

NJ05NW 31.03 NJ 00603 58528 East Lodge

NJ05NW 31.04 NJ 0034 5855 Steading

NJ05NW 31.05 NJ 0054 5845 Mill House

NJ05NW 31.06 NJ 00498 58558 Estate bridge (Muckle Burn)

NJ05NW 31.07 NJ 00527 58599 Gardener's Cottage

See also NJ05NW 36 c. 00 58 Grange (Pluscarden Priory)

A grange belonging to Pluscarden Abbey existed at Dalvey House, the well of which is said to be incorporated in the basement of the present house and to be the source of the domestic water supply.

Dalvey House was known as Grangehill until c.1740. It was built for Sir Alex. Grant c.1750 in Georgian Style, with a tent wing added c.1850.

The dovecot (? 17th century) was probably built for Sir Robert Dunbar whose family owned Grangehill 1608-1749. A panel with Sir Robert's coat of arms is built into its west wall.

L Shaw 1882; R Douglas 1931; SDD List 1965

Dalvey House with later additions, is a Georgian mansion in the main. According to the present owner, the grange probably occupied the lawns in front of the house but there are no records and no ground evidence of it.

The well, still providing the house with water, lies immediately in front of the building and is approached from below the entrance steps by a gently descending curving passage, c.14.0m long, with a vaulted roof to which a grill in the centre of the drive gives light. There are two blocked doorways in it, presumably once leading to the kitchens of the grange.

The dovecot is as described and except for the roof, which is holed, is in good order.

Visited by OS (AA) 29 April 1971.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: John Baxter, younger -attribution

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

SRO:

1750 (Grant of Monymusk) Very sketchy plan of lands of Grangehill (between Forres and Nairn) showing ground plan of house and policies, barn and mill, and surrounding area, with numbered key and comments by Sir Arch. Grant. 9key no. 77) describing alterations to house "on a Gentle eminence" with new drawing room, adjoining and detached "pavillions", "an old Ruinous House to N, near River Findhorn, ferry and relative postions of Forres, Findhorn, Brodie House etc.

(The property recently acquired by Sir Alexander Grant of Delvey, a merchant living in London.)

GD345/1160/4/71 and 75/6

(formerly erroneously idendified as Grange Hall, Forres: NJ06SE 13.)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions