Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Perth, 52, 54 Canal Street, Love's Auctioneers

Auction House (20th Century), Workshop (19th Century)(Possible)

Site Name Perth, 52, 54 Canal Street, Love's Auctioneers

Classification Auction House (20th Century), Workshop (19th Century)(Possible)

Canmore ID 158020

Site Number NO12SW 410

NGR NO 11808 23352

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/158020

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Perth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Summary Record (29 February 2012)

Rather romantic half timbered frontage to auction house, c.1900 with a number of carved decorative details. Largely brick and timber interior.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.

Site Management (2 March 2009)

Rare, finely-detailed neo-Tudor facade to tall 2-storey, 6-bay, L-plan auction room incorporating original 1905 wrought iron and copper sign by N & E Spittle of Birmingham, some coloured leaded glass, centre covered court with flanking stores and offices to N front; polychrome bands to tall circular brick stalk rising on square rubble base at roof height, and further stores to S. Stugged squared rubble with droved quoins and mock half-timbering in chevron, square, cross and diamond patterns. Moulded segmental-arched voussoired doorpiece; relieving arches, chamfered arrises, raked cills, stone and timber mullions and timber transoms. Mostly bipartite and 4-light windows.

The Love family commenced trading at a different address in Perth in 1869, They took over the Canal Street site in 1905 at which time the business consisted of an antique shop and department store. The fine wrought iron sign was purchased on Heiton's recommendation for the sum of £10.10/- (ten pounds and ten shillings), from Spittle's of Birmingham. Heiton said in a letter to his client dated 22 August, 1906 'We will get a better finish and a more artistic turn to the scroll & c from Spittle'.

The site was previously (as early as 1835) occupied by a 'Coach Manufactory' and 'smithy' of basically the same ground plan. The siting of the 'smithy' (to the east) could explain the presence of the large (almost industrial) stalk. (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Photographic Survey (20 February 2008)

Photographed by the Threatened Buildings Survey prior to proposed demolition of auction house and facade retention.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions