Rafford, Old Parish Church And Burial Ground
Burial Ground (16th Century) - (19th Century), Church (18th Century)
Site Name Rafford, Old Parish Church And Burial Ground
Classification Burial Ground (16th Century) - (19th Century), Church (18th Century)
Canmore ID 15780
Site Number NJ05NE 5
NGR NJ 05997 56173
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15780
- Council Moray
- Parish Rafford
- Former Region Grampian
- Former District Moray
- Former County Morayshire
NJ05NE 5 05997 56173
For present church (NJ 0602 5637), see NJ05NE 26.
(NJ 0599 5617) Church (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map (1906)
Rafford is described as 'ecclesia de Ruffus' in a 13th c. charter. Dr Reeves suggests that this is a dedication to St. Maelrubha, who died in 722.
There is no evidence to show whether or not this church occupied the site of the present ruins - which are probably those of a church which was in use from 1754 until 1826, when the present church was built.
The ruins are described in 1870 as being a portion of 'the ancient Parish Church covered by a low modern roof'.
W Reeves 1862; Statistical Account (OSA) 1795 (W Stephen); New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845 (C MacKay); Name Book 1870.
The old church in the graveyard was about 66'0" long by 20'0" internally. It was taken down in 1827 and the material was used to build the dykes around the present church, and to repair the Mill of Marcassie and Templestones. The bell from this church bearing the date 1576 is still in use in the present established church (T L Mason).
The church was not completely demolished as the two gables survived until c.1959 when the west gable, which was almost against the west wall of the graveyard, was demolished (J Cordiner, The Manse, Rafford, Morayshire). The lower portion of the east gable now forms the west end of the gravedigger's shed and part of the east wall of a private burial plot. This section of walling measures 7.8m long by 0.9m wide by 2.0m high. It has been re-faced and pointed and from its present appearance it is impossible to say to which period it belongs. No further information could be found on the church mentioned in the 13thc charter.
Resurveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (RD) 9 August 1965.
INVENTORY OF GRAVEYARD AND CEMETERY SITES IN SCOTLAND REFERENCE:
Address: Rafford Burial Ground, Forres, Moray
Postcode: IV36 2RT
Status: Closed for burials but maintained
Size: 0.15 hectares, 0.38 acres
Polygon: Yes
TOIDs: 1000000172240846, 1000000172240848, 1000000172240849, 1000000172261317, 1000038907770
Number of gravestones: 171
Earliest gravestone: 1640
Most recent gravestone: 1968
Description: Graveyard associated with a church (demolished 18th Century). Walled graveyard containing 3 large enclosures (Dunbar, Logan/Bates and unidentified) and a building which may have been a watch house, now re-roofed and used as a shed. A cross-section of gravestones ranging from early flat stones to a mixture of upright stones and wall tablets, mainly 19th and early 20th Century. Many flat stones partially buried or covered with grass cuttings. Some stones which , considering the dates on them, display an early style of monumental mason's art.
Data Sources: Graveyard Recording Form, 21 March 2003; OS MasterMap checked 14 June 2005.
This site was examined as part of an archaeological watching brief and test pitting for the Moray Flood Alleviation Scheme.
S Farrell 2004
