Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blervie Castle

Castle (Medieval), Farmhouse (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Blervie Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Farmhouse (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Blervie Tower; Ulerin

Canmore ID 15778

Site Number NJ05NE 3

NGR NJ 07081 57178

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15778

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Rafford
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ05NE 3 07081 57178.

(NJ 07075718) Blervie Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 25" map (1906)

Blervie Castle was built on the z-plan by the Dunbars about 1600. The western angle tower and an adjoining fragment of the main block are all that now remain. The repair of the royal castle of Blervie or Ulerin, in anticipation of Haco's invasion in 1263, is mentioned in the Exchequer Rolls.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887; R G Cant 1948

The remains of Blervie Castle are well preserved and are as described above. Modern farm buildings have been added, and built onto , the outside walls. Variations on the spelling of the name range from Blare, Blarvie, Blairvie to Blervie.

Revised at 25".

Visited by OS (RB) 6 September 1965

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions