Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mull, Rubha Nan Gall, Lighthouse

Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Mull, Rubha Nan Gall, Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Rudha Nan Gall; Sound Of Mull; Tobermory, Lighthouse, Rhu Na Gal; Tobermory Harbour Entrance

Canmore ID 157686

Site Number NM55NW 18

NGR NM 50772 57045

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/157686

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilninian And Kilmore
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM55NW 18 50772 57045

Lighthouse [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1976.

Not to be confused with Ardmore Point beacon (NM 47053 59205), for which see NM45NE 22.

This shore light is situated about 1.5km N of Tobermory, and marks the SW side of the NW entrance to the Sound of Mull. Built as part of the joint scheme of David and Thomas Stevenson (to buld 29 lights between 1854 and 1878), it was first lit on 10 November 1857 and automated in 1860.

The main (Northern) entrance to Tobermory Harbour (NM55NW 19.00) is centred around NM 514 554.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 3 June 2005.

R W Munro 1979; K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986; S Krauskopf 2001.

Activities

Construction (1857)

Light established in 1857.

R W Munro 1979

Modification (1960)

Automated in 1960.

R W Munro 1979

Note (3 June 2005)

This shore light is situated about 1.5km N of Tobermory, and marks the SW side of the NW entrance to the Sound of Mull. Built as part of the joint scheme of David and Thomas Stevenson (to buld 29 lights between 1854 and 1878), it was first lit on 10 November 1857 and automated in 1860.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 3 June 2005.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions