Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Essential maintenance

HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:

- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)

 - Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)

 - Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)

 General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

 We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

 

Dunphail Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Dunphail Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 15758

Site Number NJ04NW 8

NGR NJ 00700 48103

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15758

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Edinkillie (Moray)
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ04NW 8 00700 48103

(NJ 0070 4810) Dunphail Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map, Morayshire, 2nd ed., (1906).

Dunphail Castle existed before 1314, but the period of the present remains is not stated: a note on the remains in 1879 suggests barrel vaulting.

H B Mackintosh 1924.

Dunphail Castle occupies the S end of Castle Hill. The S and W portions of the castle have been reduced by the erosion of the steep slopes. The NE tower is fully extant, while the NW tower is in ruins. The SW site is composed of three separate compartments, each one measuring 6.0m by 5.0m with barrel vaulting.

There are two arched entrances on the SE side of the castle, one at the NE tower and the other immediately S of the barrel vaulted-rooms. These buildings occupy a higher elevation than the forecourt, the limits of which are delineated by an earthern bank, 0.3m high. No date could be ascribed to the Castle, but the NE tower is 16th to 17th century

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS(RB) 2 September 1965.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions