Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Holyrood Park, Holyrood Palace, St Anne's Yards

Building(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Holyrood Park, Holyrood Palace, St Anne's Yards

Classification Building(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Queen's Park

Canmore ID 157278

Site Number NT27SE 3965

NGR NT 2699 7380

NGR Description Centred NT 2699 7380

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/157278

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 3965 centred 2699 7380

Nothing can now be seen of the buildings that occupied the ground to the S of Holyrood Palace (NT27SE 35.00), which now falls within the Palace gardens and the adjacent public car park. The area originally housed the aristocracy, but from the 16th century onwards, the Park was used by people seeking sanctuary from their creditors, and they too took up residence here. Those entering the Debtors' Sanctuary were known as the 'Abbey Lairds', and, by the early 19th century, rooms were available to rent in a group of tenement buildings. The tenements are shown on an illustration of the Great Reform Meeting held at the Park in 1832, and appear on a map of Holyrood Abbey Sanctuary and Environs dated to 1839.

Information from RCAHMS (ARG), 23 November 1999

NMRS, MS/726/96 (82-3, no. 101); C R Wickham-Jones 1996.

Activities

Watching Brief (10 November 2011 - 14 December 2011)

NT 2693 7380 (centred on) A watching brief was maintained, 10 November–14 December 2011, during the excavation of a service trench in the gardens to the S of the Palace of Holyroodhouse. The trench, which was 265m in length, exposed long and often remarkably consistent sequences. The earliest archaeological evidence consisted of a lower ground surface, perhaps 500mm below the current level, with possibly associated structural remains, all buried by imported soil and levelling material.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Historic Scotland

Kirkdale Archaeology (A. Radley) 2011 Oasis ID: kirkdale1-171108

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions