Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Due to scheduled maintenance work by our external provider, background aerial imagery on Canmore may be unavailable

between 12:00 Friday 15th December and 12:00 Monday 18th December


Tom Nan Carragh

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Tom Nan Carragh

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Dulnainbridge; Tom Nan Carragh 3; Ballintomb

Canmore ID 15722

Site Number NJ02SW 6

NGR NJ 01029 24569

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cromdale, Inverallan And Advie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ02SW 6 NJ 01029 24569.

(NJ 0102 2456) Standing Stones (NR)

OS 6" map, Morayshire, 2nd ed., (1904)

Two standing stones each about 8ft high and supposed to be the remains of a Druidical Circle.

Name Book 1871.

Only one stone now remains standing; the other lies prone at its base. Both are roughly hewn. No trace of an associated stone circle or cairn. Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (NKB) 7 September 1966.

80yds from this stone are two further stones in a shallow depression, one with cup-marks.

Information contained in letter from R J Stewart, Wester Rynabeallich, Cromdale, Grantown-on-Spey, to OS, 19 January 1986

The area around the base of the fallen stone was excavated with a view to re erecting the stone in its original position. A socket 0.7m across and 0.56m into the subsoil was excavated. The base of the megalith had been packed with stones up to 0.3m in diameter. Only the northern two thirds of the socket was excavated, as the base of the megalith overlay the rest. There were no finds.

Re-erection of the stone was abandoned after it was observed that the megalith had broken along both axes when it fell. The socket was filled with builders' sand and the area returfed.

R Pollock and D Scott 1988.

Two standing stones, only one of which is erect, are situated in pasture on a river terrace 480m E of Ballintomb farmsteading. The erect stone stands about 2m in height and its top tapers from the W to a rounded point; the other stone, which is broken, lies immediately to the NNE.

Visited by RCAHMS (TIP, AGCH) 26 October 2006.


Field Visit (24 September 1943)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

External Reference (2011)

Oram 1996 calls the site Ballintomb, Dulnain Bridge, and dates the stones to the Bronze Age.

In the later Middle Ages the site was the assembly place of the local courts, and the rallying-place of the Grants of Freuchie (Oram 1996).

Information from the ARCH Community Timeline Course, 2011

Note (25 September 2013)

The remains of a stone mentioned by Stewart in his letter to the OS in 1986 may have been located at NJ 0097 2451 amongst some field clearance.

Information from RCAHMS (HDS) 25th September 2013


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions