Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Lethendry Castle

Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Lethendry Castle

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Lethendry Tower; Castle Lethendy

Canmore ID 15680

Site Number NJ02NE 5

NGR NJ 08416 27407

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15680

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cromdale, Inverallan And Advie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ02NE 5 08416 27407

(NJ 0840 2740) Castle Lethendy (NR) (Ruins)

OS 6" map, (1938)

Lethendry Castle was occupied by the Jacobites at the time of the Battle of Cromdale, in 1690.

R Douglas 1936.

Known locally as Lethendry Castle, it is a small L-shaped tower probably 16th century, incorporated in the farm buildings of Wester Lethendry. It comprises a basement and at least two storeys, and is constructed of rubble masonry bonded with lime mortar and small stone pinnings.

Visited by OS (R L) 1 September 1966.

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation (16 November 2017)

An archaeological evaluation was undertaken in November 2017 for a new house with associated access and services, the site lying close to Lethendry Castle (NRHE NJ02NE 5) which produced no archaeological deposits or features.

Full report submitted to HCHER and NRHE.

Information from Stuart Farrell

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions