Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Piershill, Piershill Barracks

Barracks (First World War), Barracks (18th Century), Barracks (19-20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Piershill, Piershill Barracks

Classification Barracks (First World War), Barracks (18th Century), Barracks (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 156706

Site Number NT27SE 4220

NGR NT 2849 7429

NGR Description Centred NT 2849 7429

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/156706

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (12 September 2013)

Piershill Barracks were built in 1793 and demolished in 1938. The barracks were used by a series of cavalry regiment and a 1916 photograph exists showing Royal Horse Artillery in the parade ground. Maps of the defences of the eastern approaches to Edinburgh in 1916 (see NT26SE 6127) show that Piershill Barracks was the centre of the field telephone network from sector commanders, suggesting that the barracks was the HQ of the defences.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 12 September 2013.

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 4220 centred 2849 7429

Architecture Notes

Depicted on the 1st edition of the O.S. 6-inch map (Edinburgh), 1885, sheet 2.

Information from RCAHMS (SM), 18th January 2000.

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation (11 January 2011 - 12 January 2011)

An archaeological evaluation was undertaken within the proposed redevelopment of two existing parks at Piershill Square East and West, Edinburgh. In total 10 trenches were excavated totaling a basal area of 96m2 were opened. A red brick and cobble surface was excavated and recorded. The surface represents a building, forming part of Piershill Barracks, recorded on the 1st Edition OS 6-inch Map (Edinburghshire 1885, sheet 2). The remains were preserved in situ. No other significant archaeological remains or features were identified.

Information from Martin Cook, AOC Archaeology Group, 18 JAnuary 2011

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions