Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Auldearn

Battle Site (Post Medieval)

Site Name Auldearn

Classification Battle Site (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Battle Of Auldearn

Canmore ID 15539

Site Number NH95NW 12

NGR NH 916 554

NGR Description NH c. 916 554

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15539

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Auldearn
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Nairn
  • Former County Nairn

Archaeology Notes

NH95NW 12 c. 916 554

(Name: NH 917 550) Battle of Auldearn (NR)

9th May 1645 (NAT)

OS 1:10000 map (1977).

See also NH95NW 25.

The Battle of Auldearn was fought on the 9th May 1645. An army of 2,000 foot, 250 horse under the Marquis of Montrose, for the king, defeated a Covenanter force of about 4,000 foot and 400 horse led by General Sir John Hurry. The decisive action of the battle took place between Garlic Hill and the village (at approximately NH 916 554).

G Bain 1898; M Brander 1975.

NH 91679 55473 to NH 91325 55513 A watching brief was undertaken in February 2004 as part of footpath works, in an area possibly related to the battle of Auldearn in the 17th century (NH95NW 12). No archaeological deposits or features were revealed, as work was mostly limited to the topsoil.

Report lodged with Highland SMR and the NMRS.

Sponsor: H W Kinnaird Ltd for Highland Council.

S Farrell 2004

This battlefield was included in a nation-wide study of key battle sites. A detailed gazetteer was created by The Battlefield Trust, which includes an historical overview of each site, detailed assessments of the action and its location and the number of troops involved, casualties, sources of information and an interpretation of the events and its impact on history. For more detail see the gazetteer and associated materials - MS 2522.

The Battle of Auldearn began at Garlic Hill but advanced into Auldearn village and became a house to house battle with localised scurmishes and periods of intense fighting that lasted most of the day. On site commemoration includes signposts to the site and an interpretation panel. There is a memorial to fallen Covenanter troops in the old church at Auldearn.

G Foard and T Partida 2005.

Activities

External Reference (2013)

Information on the Battle of Auldearn is available on the Battlefield Trust website, including a report prepared for Historic Scotland.

Information from RCAHMS (SIH), February 2013

www.battlefieldsrust.com

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions