Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stronefield

Mill (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Stronefield

Classification Mill (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 154280

Site Number NR77SW 15

NGR NR 7203 7485

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/154280

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish South Knapdale
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Activities

Field Visit (May 2012 - May 2013)

The abandoned township of Stronefield lies on the Ellary Estate in Mid Argyll, about 12 miles by road to the west of Lochgilphead. It consists of the remains of about 18 buildings, some surviving as ruins, others as mere foundations. The field seasons at Stronefield took place over three weeks in May 2012 and two weeks in May 2013. In all nine days were spent in the field and on two further days visits were made to comparable sites including the Arichonan and Kilmory Oib townhips, and the Auchindrain township museum.

Myra and Christopher Tolan-Smith, 2013

Note

A township, comprising fourteen roofed buildings, one of which may be a mill, one unroofed building and four enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1873, sheet cxc). Eleven unroofed buildings and one enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1979).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 17 May 1999.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions