Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kincardine Church

Church (18th Century), Font (18th Century)

Site Name Kincardine Church

Classification Church (18th Century), Font (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Boat Of Garten And Kincardine Church; Church Of Scotland

Canmore ID 15384

Site Number NH91NW 10

NGR NH 93836 15519

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15384

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Abernethy And Kincardine
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH91NW 10 93836 15519.

(NH 9384 1552) Church (NAT), Graveyard (NAT)

OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

Kincardine Church, called 'Eaglais Thomhaldaidh' by the older people dates from pre-Reformation times, the S wall features a lancet window said to be a 'leper squint'.

J M Mathieson 1953.

According to a framed notice inside the door to the church, the first Christian Church here was Celtic, probably founded by missionaries from Iona in the 7th century. The foundations of the present building are of the 12th century. The slit window on the S side (a leper blink) shows that the existing walls were built before the reformation.

Towards the end of the 15th century, the church was partly destroyed by fire.

Outside the church door is a hollowed granite block, probably once used as a font.

The church is still in use, and shows evidence of recent repair.

Visited by OS (R L) 4 November 1966.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions