Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dornoch, Embo Street

Cairn (Period Unassigned), Cist (Period Unassigned), Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Dornoch, Embo Street

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned), Cist (Period Unassigned), Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 15357

Site Number NH89SW 1

NGR NH 8089 9138

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15357

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Dornoch
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NH89SW 1 8089 9138

(NH 8089 9138) Cairn (NR)

Stone Cist (NR)

OS 6" map, (1960).

Before excavation by Tait on 12th April 1867 the cairn of earth and rubble, measured 30' in diameter and 11' in height.

L Tait 1870.

The remains of an excavated circular cairn, with a diameter of some 44'. Near the centre a short cist has been exposed. The slab, which still partially covers the cist, is some 6' in length by 2'4" in breadth across the centre and 6" in thickness. On the underside of this stone, at its W end, is a well-defined cup mark about 2 1/2" across and 3/4" deep. Some 2 1/2" to the S of the cup a shallow groove runs along the centre of the stone from its W end for about 1'11" curving at its E extremity towards the S. There are a number of small hollows on both surfaces, which seem to be natural.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.

While inspecting the cairn in January 1933, when it was overgrown by whins, Davidson came across an incised stone among debris in the bottom of the cist. It was a flat sandstone about 18" long tapering from 15" broad to a rounded point. The sculptured device is about 11" long and 4 1/2" wide and 1/4" deep.

J M Davidson 1940.

A whin covered cairn c.12.5m in diameter and c.1.2m high with a central cist as described by RCAHMS. The West end of the cap-stone bearing the cup-mark has been broken off, and could not be found. The surviving part still bearing the groove, is 1.3m long. The cairn is placed to the S of a stream, which has cut slightly into its N arc. Traces of a curving stony bank of uncertain date and purpose extend for about 50.0m to the

W from the SW arc of the cairn.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (A A), 23 March 1971.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions