Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Granton Harbour, Middle Pier, Lighthouse

Beacon (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Granton Harbour, Middle Pier, Lighthouse

Classification Beacon (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Granton 1; Mid Pier, Leading Light

Canmore ID 151857

Site Number NT27NW 28.06

NGR NT 23829 77658

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/151857

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NW 28.06 23829 77658

Architect: William Burn

Lighthouses were placed on each breakwater and the middle pier. Unknown at time of upgrade, 30.11.1999, which was designed by Burn.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

RIBA Drawings Collection 4 designs and elevations by Wm Burn.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Granton 1: location cited as NT 238 777). At end of central pier: Hannay Thompson and the Yorkshire Hennebique Co, 1937. Reinforced concrete column with tapering rectangular section base curving at top to support concrete disk base of metal-railed gallery. Cylindrical metal lantern with curved triangular panes, conical roof and domed ventilator. Caged ladder access to gallery.

J R Hume 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions